Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pound Cake Thieves!

OK, so last night I decided I wanted to make my Lemon Pound Cake as a test run for Christmas. I haven't made it in over a year, when I sent them as gifts. I figured I'd wait until everyone was asleep or otherwise occupied so I can get in the kitchen uninterrupted. I made my cake, did pretty well from memory too. It came out just the right height and density. So I sat it on the stove top to cool with the intention of glazing it this morning. Well, when you have a man and a growing man-child in the home, it's hard to keep stuff around for long...especially anything resembling a dessert. Look at what I woke up to this morning...

lemonpoundcake

Apparently, my son saw the recipe for the glaze on the counter and took it upon himself to make the glaze, put it on the cake and proceed to cut the cake. Him and his dad...who's supposed to be sick mind you...went to town on my cake. I didn't even get a chance to glaze and take a picture of it before it was cut! *Sigh* So go the hazards of living with cake thieves, pie pillagers and cookie monsters.

This is a really simple recipe. Keep in mind, that while this cake is relatively moist for a pound cake, they are not meant to be as moist as a regular cake, nor is the weight the same. Feel free to adjust or add flavorings as you see fit. You can add almond, chocolate, or any other flavorings as you wish. Just adjust to your taste.

Lemon Pound Cake

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour (unsifted)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks of unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
4 whole eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp lemon extract (or more to suit your taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt style cake pan with Crisco Flour Baking Spray (you can find it on the same shelf with Pam or any other cooking spray. It comes in a light blue can). Or you can butter and flour the pan the old fashioned way. My way is quicker.

In a bowl using a hand blender, cream together butter and sugar until well blended. Add 1 egg at a time beating after each addition until blended. Then add vanilla extract and blend. Then add lemon extract and blend. Do not over blend. Set aside.

In another bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and blend together well. Take the dry ingredient mixture and slowly add it to the butter mixture adding 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time. You do not want to use the blender for this. Use a rubber spatula and incorporate by hand. You don't want to over mix the batter. After all the flour mixture has been mixed well with the butter mixture, add milk. Give it a good stir until all the ingredients are combined.

Next, pour or spoon the batter into the pan. You may want to tap the pan on the counter a few times to get any air out of it. Put it in the oven in the center of the rack and bake for 40 minutes. Take the cake out and test it with a cake tester to make sure it is fully done. I usually pick the center most part of the cake. If the tool comes back clean, it's done. If some batter is on it, let it cook a few more minutes. You can also test by lightly pressing down on the cake with your finger tips (or a butter knife so you don't burn your hands!). When the cake has some spring to it, it's done.

When you take the cake out of the over, turn the pan over onto a cooling rack and remove the cake from the pan. Let the cake cool for about 20-30 minutes. Then glaze (or not glaze) and serve.

Lemon Glaze

Ingredients:

4 tbs powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract
Milk (just enough to make it a smooth consistency)

Combine ingredients in a cup. Blend until well incorporated. Let sit for a bout 2 minutes. Then drizzle slowly onto the cake. Let the cake sit uncovered until the glaze sets. Then serve.

Had my family not destroyed my cake, I would have garnished it to make it more festive. Next time, I'll have to take the cake to bed with me or set a boobie trap. LOL

Til next time.

Adrienne Graham Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment