Sunday, December 21, 2008

Apple Chicken Sausage

I love the Food Network. I am addicted to it. I'm always looking for new variations on my classic dishes and FN always delivers. While there are tons of recipes available on the web, not all are always that great or accurate. Cooking is mostly instinct and partly skill. I can create my own dishes from scratch (read: experimentation) or I can doctor up a good recipe to make it my own.

I was watching Rachel Ray and she made this amazing Chicken Apple Sausage. I've eaten beef sausage, pork sausage and turkey sausage. But never chicken sausage. So I went online and did some research and found a few Chicken Sausage recipes. But Rachel's hands down was the best. It was low maintenance, easy to make, and I didn't have to worry about stuffing meat in the casings. I've taken her base recipe and punched it up a little bit. It may be a bit too spicy for some people's tastes. But you can add or delete ingredients as you like.

Apple Chicken Sausage Patties

Ingredients:

Olive Oil
2 lbs Ground Chicken
2 tart Grannie Smith (Green) Apples grated
2/3 cup onion fine diced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

Heat pan with olive oil. Saute apples and onions until translucent. Add garlic to slightly brown (do not over cook garlic or it will be bitter & you'll have to start over). Remove from heat and allow to cool.

In another small pan, if you're using the fennel seeds, toast lightly then set aside.

In a bowl, add chicken, bread crumbs and seasonings. Mix well. Add cooled fennel seeds, onions, apples and garlic to meat and mix well. Form meat into small patties (or whatever size patties you prefer). You can then either bake or fry them in a pan with a little olive oil. Cook until nice and brown on both sides.

Serve with waffles, french toast, pancakes, eggs & grits or make breakfast sandwiches out of them. I tried them with some maple syrup. For a touch of extra sweetness you can add a little maple syrup to the meat mixture before cooking. You can also make them with smoked mozzarella cheese inside by forming the balls of meat around the cheese and shaping them concealing the cheese.

Enjoy!

Adrienne Graham Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment