Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What's For Dinner Mom?

Those four words irk me to no end. LOL I love my son. I've cooked for him for the last 17 years. I've made countless meals for his football team mates over the last four years. I cook every Thanksgiving & Christmas meal (and sometimes Easter). You know what? I'm exhausted! I admit, there are times when I revel in being in the kitchen. But these days I find myself counting down the days until he graduates.

Now, I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who is embarking on a cooking based business. But there's a difference. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to cook for my son. But there are times when I am super busy for most of the day (business) and the last thing I want to do is cook for able bodied men (him and his Dad). They know that I will kick them out of my kitchen to ensure the meal is prepared correctly. But I've gotten hip to their little game. Hubby & son have been playing me! But it's partly my fault because I fell for it. No more. Things are about to change. Hubby can cook. I've eaten his cooking from time to time. My son can cook some dishes. I've taught him myself. I also told him that he will be helping out in the "test kitchen" over the next few months. I received the obligatory "aw Mom!". But I don't care. He's going off to college soon and I want him to be able to take care of himself. There will be no more "what's for dinner mom" when he leaves home. So it's my job to prepare him.

My whole gripe is sometimes I would really love for the men in my life to say "that's ok, I'll cook tonight". But since that isn't happening, I guess I can ride it out for the next 6-7 months. In the mean time, I am very excited about Thyme Out for Mom. It'll give me a chance to serve my very best to people who hire us. This is the closest I can come to running a restaurant without actually having to own or work in one. I am looking forward to trying new recipes, creating new dishes, and experimenting until I perfect every meal I touch.

So come share this journey and watch as I go from Mom the cook, to Adrienne the chef. I look forward to the journey and the experience.

Adrienne

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment